Thursday, July 13, 2017

Library on the Go: Summer School, session 2

There was a week off after the first session of summer school and we returned this week for summer school session 2. This is a smaller session, so I wasn't expecting as many people. Plus, school was closed yesterday due to extensive flooding and electrical issues (we found out about the second b/c the alarm kept going off. It was very distracting.)

It was just as hot. We had a couple kids for the 11-12 hour, one who had been waiting for us so they could return their books and check out two more! I had the laptop instead of the ipad and OF COURSE it was messed up too - wouldn't work in offline mode, kept flipping the screen, etc. Offline doesn't matter at the school b/c I can just use the guest wifi but I'll need it in August! I'm almost definitely lined up for taking Library on the Go to the pool.

This week's project was popsicle stick bracelets. We had a bunch left over from a previous project and I had those plus colored masking tape, duct tape, permanent markers, and stickers. Some of the kids got very creative - I saw one wearing hers as a choker - and others were thrilled to find misc. treasures in the box that I forgot were in there.

I forgot a folding chair and my water bottle, two things that I told myself I wouldn't forget! All of the books were in my trunk during the flooding and I belatedly discovered that the trunk was sopping wet. Only 3 books were damaged though. We signed up about 5 kids for summer reading, checked out about 32 books (I think a couple kids might have forgotten to check out...) and about 30 kids participated. My favorite was the boy whose friend dragged him over to look at the books. He picked out Princess Pink and the land of Fake Believe and promptly sat down and was absorbed in it.

I need to keep working on getting the laptop functional, remember to bring a chair and water, and make a bookmark explaining what the program is. It's too noisy to explain! My previous bookmark had dates that ended up being changed and I didn't get around to making another.

No comments: