- Program Goals
- Meet the needs of kids transitioning out of my Rock 'n' Read book club
- Offer a book club for a new age group
- Encourage both voracious and struggling readers
- Attendance: 5 (grades 5/6)
Introductions; How Book Explosion works
- Open to 5th grade and up (I'm flexible about ages for this program)
- We will be exploring a different genre each month - the kids will get to choose books from a selection
- This is not school. Everyone gets a plastic binder (which they can decorate) and notebook paper (if they want it) but they are not required to do anything with it. Or finish their books. They can come get different ones from the selection, or additional ones if they want.
- We meet once a month on the third Thursday in the teen area.
Book discussion and crafting time
- I don't require anyone to talk; if I ask a question and they don't want to answer it's fine. Then again, I have to remind some people that they can't have a mini Harry Potter fan fest of their own while we're discussing something else...
- For our first meeting we decorate our notebooks. We'll have different art/craft activities that go with each genre. And snacks. There will always be snacks.
- September: Introductory meeting
- October: Humor
- November: Fantasy
- December: Adventure
- January: Real stories
- February: History
- March: Mystery
- April: Animals